Lagonda National Bank was organized in 1873 that took over the private banking business of Fry, McMillen and Company. The Lagonda Bank Building was constructed in 1884 in the Italianate architectural style. On June 18, 1927, the Lagonda National Bank merged with Citizens Bank to form the Lagonda-Citizens National Bank, and was relocated temporarily in the old Citizens Bank building on South Limestone Street while the Lagonda Bank Building was renovated.(4) All of the Italianate architecture was removed and the mechanics on the interior were updated in time for the April 1928 opening.
Above: A view of the original Lagonda Bank Building prior to a 1927-28 renovation.
By 1948, the Lagonda Bank Building had become too crowded so a mezzanine level was constructed. In 1963, the exterior was once given a renovation headed by the local Interstate Maintenance and Engineering Company, which included a new painted exterior, the replacement of the rusting metal cornice and trim with limestone and rebuilt windows.(4)
On July 10, 1966, a dedication ceremony was held for the new Lagonda Bank building at North Street and Fountain Avenue.(1) The two-story building, designed by A.C. Leander of Columbus and built by Rodgers Construction of Springfield, measured 50 feet by 160 feet with a surface lot for 37 cars and a drive-in window. The colonial design featured 26 Roman doric columns, with the front columns weighing one ton each and the remainder weighing 1,400 pounds each.(2) Inside, the first floor consisted of a main lobby, main vault and safety deposit box area, the commercial loan department and closing office, along with the president’s office, installation loan department, travel department and closing department.(3) The second floor included the board room, various offices, and a loan closing room. The basement contained the bookkeeping department and a lunch room, along with mechanics.
In 1975, the bank merged with the Huntington National Bank and the name was changed to the Huntington-Lagonda National Bank, although it later dropped Lagonda from the title.
- Norman, William E. “Lagonda Bank Formally Opens New Building.” Springfield News-Sun 10 July 1966: 5B. Print.
- “Doric Columns Give Colonial Appearance.” Springfield News-Sun 10 July 1966: 5B. Print.
- “HEre’s Guide For Those Attending ‘Open House’.” Springfield News-Sun 10 July 1966: 5B. Print.
- Goloversic, Joseph A. “‘Simple’ Project at Lagonda Bank is Completed As Major.” Springfield News-Sun 20 Jan. 1963: 8B. Print.